Weekly Update – July 10, 2010
MONTHLY BUSINESS MEETING THIS MONDAY, JULY 14 AT 6PM. ALL MEMBERS CAN ATTEND AND SPEAK AND BUSINESS MEETINGS, BUT ONLY VOTING MEMBERS CAN VOTE AND ARE NEEDED FOR QUORUMS.
Two-Way Talk Radio Program, 92.1FM (Covers most of South Jersey) every Saturday, 8AM to 9AM. Live on-air call in number is 856-696-0092. Details at http://www.libertyandprosperity.org
TOPICS FOR DISCUSSION:
1. WE ARE RUNNING OUT OF MONEY AND NEED YOUR HELP. Last month?s Liberty movie, ?The Crossing?, left out many details, including this. Before Washington could cross the ice-filled Delaware River three times, and defeat the Hessians and British twice in Trenton, and once in Princeton, he had to raise money. To get 3,000 soldiers to re-enlist, he needed $10 in gold for each of them, and money for food, blankets, and winter clothes. With the help of Robert Morris and others in Philadelphia, he succeeded. We also need money to succeed.
a. Our radio spots and road signs have increased awareness, and brought in some donations. But we will run out of money in September if we do not have a successful fundraising event by then. In the past few years, we held a fundraising event at Caroline?s Restaurant and Bar in Somers Point on Labor Day to honor local hero RICHARD SOMERS, who died off the shores of Tripoli. This event can only succeed if at least a dozen people work on this event, and sell at least 120 tickets for $20. If you can help us, please contact Seth Grossman by reply e-mail or at 609-927-7333.
2. STOCKTON COLLEGE is out of control. It is using gimmicks to raise tuition even more than the 4% state limit, and it plans to buy the Seaview Resort in Galloway, and remove it from the tax rolls. This would make everyone in the county pay higher taxes! STOCKTON COLLEGE uses its William Hughes Public Policy Center to advance liberal, tax-borrow-spend politics. It has no place for Liberty and Prosperity. In the 1970?s, state schools cost $800 a year, including room and board, and students could earn that in a summer. Today, students can earn $3,000-$4,000 in a summer, but Stockton costs $23,000 a year, even though they get $23 million a year from state taxpayers. Read the details at http://www.shorenewstoday.com/index….-students.html, or at https://libertyandprosperity.com.
3. Don?t miss another great Liberty Movie and discussion on Tuesday, July 20 from 6 PM to 9 PM at the Atlantic County Library in Mays Landing. This month?s feature is Generation Zero, the widely acclaimed Citizens United documentary on the financial meltdown.
Featuring experts, authors, and pundits from across the political spectrum, Generation Zero exposes the little-told story of how the mindset of the babyboomers sowed the seeds of economic disaster that will be reaped by future generations.
4. ENFORCE IMMIGRATION LAWS!!! Once again, President Obama, CNN, and the rest of the liberal media claim our immigration laws are broken and need to be fixed. The only thing wrong with our current immigration laws is that they allow 2 million LEGAL immigrants each year, which is far too many. What is broken is the absolute refusal of three Presidents, Democrats Clinton and Obama, and Republican Bush to uphold and enforce those laws, and allow 20 million ILLEGAL immigrants into this country as well. The only solution is to enforce existing laws first and remove all illegal immigrants. The longer we delay, the more difficult and painful this will be.
5. YOU CAN?T CHANGE ANYTHING, IF YOU CAN?T GET ELECTED. Except for a few Republican county committee candidates, not a single Liberty candidate in South Jersey was nominated by any major party for any public office. If you want to make a difference, and be a winning candidate for public office, you must prepare yourself and your campaign NOW, for the April 2011 school board, and June 2011 primary elections. Next years elections are very important in New Jersey, with all 80 seats in the Assembly, and 1/3 of the 40 Senate seats up for grabs. There are also important county freeholder, and local mayor, council, and township committee races.
Many ?liberty? candidates show up at our meetings a few months before the election, and wonder why they are not taken seriously. The short answer is that you cannot be a winning candidate against a party organization unless you prepare yourself and your campaign at least ten months in advance?i.e NOW. If you support the principles of Liberty and Prosperity, and want to be a candidate for public office next year, NOW is the time to show up at our meetings!
6. ARE THE GOVERNMENT, THE MEDIA, AND BP TELLING US THE TRUTH ABOUT WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THE GULF? BP today announced it expects to plug the hole and stop the leak by the end of the month. But more troubling opinions are not reported. Is the truth being suppressed? See http://www.americanpendulum.com/2010…-police-state/. British Petroleum (BP) is not known as a friend of free market private enterprise. It instead relies on ?pay to play? crony capitalism. This week, the Wall Street Journal reported that BP used its influence with the British government to release the terrorist who blew up a Pan Am airliner, so it could do business in Libya. Matt Simmons, often called ?Dr. Doom? reports that the oil leak is really an uncontrolled volcano of oil and gas that can only be stopped by a nuclear explosion. See video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpfG3gPjQOI. Others disagree, or say it?s too soon to tell. See http://www.themarketfinancial.com/ar…sday-talk/4268, and http://www.georgewashington2.blogspot.com/.
7. Liberty and Prosperity Ten Point Program for 2010:
I. No eminent domain for private gain.
II. Enforce federal immigration laws. No amnesty. Deport illegal aliens.
III. Make tax and zoning laws fair, simple, and apply them equally to everyone.
IV. Cut taxes by cutting government spending.
V. Post all government salaries, contracts, and budgets online.
VI. Repudiate (refuse to pay) all state government debts incurred without voter approval in violation of our State Constitution. Repudiate all federal government debts incurred for purposes not permitted by Article I, Section 8 of our Federal Constitution.
VII. Bring “government of the people, by the people, and for the people” back to our public schools and local governments. Let parents apply taxpayer money spent to educate their children to the qualified schools they
choose. Don’t force public employees to pay dues to unions they don’t want to join. Let elected officials again decide what salaries, pensions, and benefits to pay our public “servants”.
VIII. Hold frequent non-binding referendums (public votes) on all issues of public importance.
IX. Term limits for all elected officials. Pensions for none.
X Audit, reform, or abolish the Federal Reserve Banking System and have Congress establish a stable currency secured by precious metals. or assets with recognized and stable values. Have the United States withdraw from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and any organization which purports to require the U.S. Government to spend money without appropriation by Congress pursuant to the U.S. Constitution.
8. WE NEED YOUR HELP TO GET OUR MESSAGE OUT!!! We need 200 MORE people to pay $30 dues to keep our message on the radio, the internet and on road signs. If you live near a well traveled rural road, please let us put a sign there! Contact Seth Grossman at firstname.lastname@example.org or (609) 927-7333.
Liberty and Prosperity 1776, Inc. is a non-profit, education organization. We are registered and recognized by both the State of New Jersey and the IRS as a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt charity. Our mission is to learn and teach why ‘Liberty and Prosperity’, New Jersey’s motto since 1776, is still true and relevant today — and how Americans can again be free and effective citizens.”
MEMBERSHIP REQUIREMENTS: Voting Members: $60 dues; attend 3 business meetings per year; work on one board approved project per year. Non-Voting Members: $30 per year; no attendance or volunteer requirements.