Weekly Update – October 8, 2009
1. REGULAR BREAKFAST DISCUSSION AT ATHENA DINER, NEW ROAD, NORTHFIELD: This Saturday, October 17, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM. I will be hosting, since meetings at the Pegasus Diner in Malaga are suspended until the Saturday morning Vineland radio program continues after the election.
a. WHO WILL RUN THE REVEL CASINO WHEN IT FINALLY OPENS? WHO IS AGGRESSIVELY BUYING GOLD, GOLD MINES, AND OIL WELLS AROUND THE WORLD? WHO BOUGHT SO MANY DOLLARS, TREASURY BONDS, & OTHER U.S. INVESTMENTS THAT THEY CAN RUIN OUR ECONOMY ANY TIME THEY FEEL LIKE IT? Hint: While our politicians, schools, and pop culture trash everyone who runs a business, joins the military, or who is proud of our country, look at the show the Chinese put on for their kids last week. Watch the full ten minutes . See for yourself what the leaders of China have planned for us. Click here for video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxjyy…eature=related.
b. Ditto for Russia. Think of how few people showed up for our Memorial Day ceremonies last May. The Russians don?t do a Memorial Day in May?They have a Victory Day! Ta ke the time to watch excerpts from their parade. It starts with a short speech by the President of the Russian Federation. You don’t need a translator. He is saying that Russia is strong again , and that anyone who gets in their way will get whacked. The parade shows he isn’t bluffing. Click here for video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWVIe…om=PL&index=23. Remember when nobody messed with Americans because we were strong and everybody knew it?
c. What do you think about that immigrant from Afghanistan who was about to kill dozens of Americans at Grand Central Station in New York. We caught him, but how much did it cost ? And how many like him are in this country? Why do we allow millions of our enemies to live in our country in the first place–and give them free medical care, housing, food, and even cash for their clunkers?
d. What will happen if we vote ?yes? in November to borrow $400 million more for open space? Look what happened to the last batch of borrowed ?Green Acres? money: From this week?s New Jersey Law Journal: “Dennis Oury, a politically connected Bergen County lawyer pleaded guilty Tuesday to defrauding Bergenfield while serving as its attorney by steerig contracts to a grant writing business he owned secretly. . . Besides getting a $6,000 retainer in 2002, Governmental Grants made a deal to get 10 percent of any grants it was able to fulfill for the town. For $1.4 million in state grants to buy a four-acre property to expand Coopes Pond Park in the borough, Government Grants received a fee of $129,000 in 2004, and Oury’s share was $25,000 the indictment said.” Question: Do you think this only happened in Bergenfield?
e. LEVINSON vs. LIBERTY: Democratic politicians pay attention to their liberal base. Most New Jersey Republican politicians have nothing but anger and contempt for their conservative base. Remember how they treated Steve Lonegan, the Tea Party folks, and opponents of ballot questions for more government debt. Now ?moderate? Republicans Frank LoBiondo and Dennis Levinson can?t even tolerate our one hour a week radio program. For details, read my column in this week?s Current and Gazette newspapers at http://www.shorenewstoday.com/news.php?id=4723. Mike Conte of Ventnor also wrote a great letter. Read it at http://www.shorenewstoday.com/news.php?id=4727.
f. THERE IS NO TURNING BACK! Democrats will never defend liberty until Republicans CONSISTENTLY AND DECISIVELY beat them. But first, the Republican Party must again become the party of Abraham Lincoln–a party of liberty! This is something current Republican leaders in NJ are dead set against. You know what must be done. Are you willing to do your part? If not now, when?
2. OCTOBER BUSINESS MEETING FOR VOTING AND NON-VOTING MEMBERS: THIS MONDAY, OCTOBER 12, 2009. IF YOU WANT TO BE A MEMBER, PLEASE LET ME KNOW SO YOU CAN BE APPROVED THIS MONDAY. REQUIREMENTS: Voting Members: $60 dues, Attend 3 business meetings per year, Work on one board approved project per year. Non-Voting Members: $30 per year, no attendance or volunteer requirements.
a. Items to discuss at Business Meeting:
i. Finalizing our Mission Statement: After reviewing comments of others, here is my proposal: ?We learn and teach why ?Liberty & Prosperity?, New Jersey?s motto since 1776, is still true and relevant today – a how Americans can again be free and effective citizens.? What do you think? Our mission statement should not just be a catchy slogan or sales pitch. It should guide & focus everything we say and do.
ii. For the past three weeks, I have sent e-mails asking for volunteers on various projects. Many have offered to help, but few have offered to lead. Between now and Monday, I will be personally contacting as many people as I can, and urge them to take a leadership role for a particular project. But please don?t wait for my call. We need your leadership now! Those projects include:
A. More active participation as callers on talk radio programs.
B. Better coordinated calls on other programs to refer people to www.libertyandprosperity.org web site.
C. More activity and updates on web site.
D. Making and placing 4 x 8 foot signs along the road in rural areas. Suggested slogans include: “Off the air, but in our hearts. LibertyandProsperity.org. 609-927-7333”.
E. Raising money, producing, and placing one minute radio spots
F. Find other stations who willing to air our program to gain audience and make money.
3. LIBERTY AT THE MOVIES? We will show ?The Cartel?, an excellent movie of how the NJEA New Jersey Teacher?s Union dumbed down education and bankrupted our state. The producer has another engagement, but he is sending former U.S. Department of Education official Valerie Smith to discuss the movie & answer questions. This will be a BIG event! Mark your calendar: Mon., October 26 at 6:30 PM at the County Library on Main Street in Mays Landing. Admission is free, but a donation is recommended to keep the program going.
4. THE DATABASE PROJECT: What is the name, address, phone number, and e-mail address, and political party of every freeholder, mayor, council member, commissioner, township committee member, school board member, and county committee person in your county? Which of them will be seeking re-election next year? If you don?t know that information, you should. We still need some more people on this committee. Please please contact me at 609-927-7333 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. CONGRATULATIONS TO JESSE KURTZ: Besides running for Mayor of Atlantic City and managing our www.libertyandprosperity.org web site, Jesse Kurtz has been working on other things as well. His second son, Ambrose Lawrence Kurtz, will be baptized this Saturday morning, October 10, at 10:30 AM at St. Nick?s R.C. Church, Tennessee and Pacific Avenues, in Atlantic City. Congratulations to Jesse, Cara and the whole Kurtz family!
6. ROBERT LEHMAN’S NEW BOOK: “NATURE’S FORMULA–HOW THE WORLD WORKS”. Robert Lehman is a retired real estate developer from Philadelphia, who now lives at 5200 Boardwalk in Ventnor. He regularly attends our Saturday breakfasts in Northfield. His book tells of basic principles of life that he learned in business. However, his book discusses two key issues that shed light on Liberty. Does a government of liberty create a cruel “dog eat dog” culture? No. According to Lehman, animals depend on “D.I.F.” (Deception, Intimidation, and Force” to eat and survive. Everything in the animal world is win or lose. But Lehman points out that in human society, individuals, organizations that rely on voluntary “P.I.C.” (Persuasion, Inducement, and Cooperation) succeed. When you think about it, a government of liberty makes and enforces laws that make Deception, Intimidation, and Force illegal, so that each individual and group is equally free to voluntarily buy and sell what they want at the price they want, and to work or not work doing what they voluntarily choose to do. If you want to contact Robert Lehman, please contact me, and I will get him in touch with you. Thanks.
Seth Grossman, Executive Director, www.libertyandprosperity.org,
453 Shore Road, Somers Point, NJ 08244.
Credit card donations can be made using PayPal through the link
found on our website at www.libertyandprosperity.org.
Liberty and Prosperity 1776, Inc. is a non-profit organization of
citizens who believe New Jersey’s motto is as true and relevant today
as it was in 1776. We teach how liberty creates prosperity, why the
purpose of government is to secure liberty, and what we, as citizens,
must do to be able to enjoy both.
Our eight principles of Liberty are:
1. No eminent domain for private gain.
2. Enforce our immigration laws.
3. Make tax, building, and zoning laws fair, simple, and applied equally to everyone.
4. Cut taxes by cutting spending.
5. Post all public contracts and employee salaries on the internet.
6. Don’t sell, lease, or hock our public highways.
7. Repudiate all unconstitutional debt.
8. Hold frequent public votes to ascertain citizen sentiment and encourage political participation.
Whether you agree with all of these principles or not, please join