Weekly Update – April 10, 2010
BREAKFAST DISCUSSION THIS SATURDAY, APRIL 10, 2010 AND EVERY SATURDAY AT ATHENA DINER, NEW ROAD, NORTHFIELD: 9:30 AM TO 10:30 AM. (Also live two way talk every Saturday from 8 to 9AM on 92.1FM Radio, heard in most of South Jersey. The on-air call-in number is 856-696-0092. To learn more about us, go to http://www.libertyandprosperity.org.
Many of us, including me, Seth Grossman, will still be away. But Paul Porreca did a great job of guest hosting the radio program, I am glad he agreed to do it again this Saturday. Also thanks to Bruce Barkoff, Bettylou Bernard, Judy Butler, Mark Hutchinson, Linda Biamonte, Bob Glaser, Bob Lehrman Ginnie Nelson, Doug Stroz, Tim Phelans, Mary Kazmarck, Jackie from Somers Point and Mr. Desantis for covering a wide range of topics interesting topics including fair-tax/flat-tax, Morgan Stanley bailout, Hurley’s comments, publishing public employee salaries, offshore oil drilling, etc. Join them again this Saturday!
TOPICS FOR DISCUSSION:
1. WE NEED YOUR HELP TO GET OUR MESSAGE OUT!!! Please pay your $30 dues so we can continue our radio spots. If you own rural land near a well traveled road, please let us post a sign on your land. Contact Seth Grossman at firstname.lastname@example.org or (609) 927-7333.
2. THE TEA PARTIES SERVED THEIR PURPOSE. How do we get to the next level? Look at what the original Tea Party People did in 1774 and 1775! I am away on vacation, so I have not had a chance to talk to anyone else, and my views may not represent those of the organization. However, this is what I published in the Current/Gazette Newspapers this week on the subject. Go to: http://www.shorenewstoday.com/news.php?id=8206
3. LIBERTY AT THE MOVIES: Why do liberal Democrats like Obama usually s win the ?youth vote?? See ?Indoctinate U.? at ?Liberty at the Movies? on April 29 at 6PM at the Mays Landing Library on Main Street by the River. Here is the link to the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-zz1HwxIjg.
4. NEWS FROM FLORIDA: The headline in last Sunday?s Miami Herald was ??Camden New Jersey Cops are ?worse than crime?. . . Prosecutors drop charges or vacate convictions in 185 criminal cases becasue of possibly corrupt police work?. Maybe forcing all police officers to join government employee labor unions is not such a good idea? Maybe giving police officers tenure, so they can?t be fired, automatic pay hikes every year, retiring at age 47 with 2/3 of highest salary, etc. are not such good ideas either? Weren?t all these things supposed to guarantee highly qualified professionals? Or does it mean that there is no substitute for liberty—government where the people, not the ?servants? of the people are in charge?
5. HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS ARE ANGRY THAT THEIR BEST TEACHERS ARE BEING LAID OFF AND THEIR FAVORIT PROGRAMS ARE BEING CANCELLED. They are demonstrating, they are putting together Facebook and other social media sites, they are showing up at school board meetings. They don?t know these bad things are happening because of the NJEA Teacher?s Union. The NJEA forces each of NJ?s 103,000 teachers to pay dues of roughly $1,000 each year (about $300 per year for other employees) and uses that $130 million per year to get high salaries, pensions, and benefits for the teachers with the most seniority?not always the best teachers! If you know any high school student who can help us tell students the truth, please contact me at email@example.com.
6. “Liberty and Prosperity 1776, Inc. is a non-profit, education organization. We are registered and recognized by both the State of New Jersey and the IRS as a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt charity. Our mission is to learn and teach why ‘Liberty and Prosperity’, New Jersey’s motto since 1776, is still true and relevant today — and how Americans can again be free and effective citizens.”
MEMBERSHIP REQUIREMENTS: Voting Members: $60 dues, Attend 3 business meetings per year, Work on one board approved project per year. Non-Voting Members: $30 per year, not attendance or volunteer requirements